Saturday, November 8, 2014

I'M HERE, I'M FREE NOW!

 
 
"I'M HERE! I'M FREE NOW!"
 

My favorite quote of all time is from a young woman named Amanda Berry. She was one of the three girls kidnapped and held hostage for over 10 years when she broke out of the house, borrowed a cell phone and called 911 and said "I'm here! I'm free now!" Google her 911 call...you can hear the freedom in her voice! No matter what she had gone through for 10 years, rape, hunger, beatings, she was overjoyed with her freedom! Powerful example of what happens to us when we are free from the bondage of oppression through a relationship with Jesus.
 
 
Years ago I began to share my personal story with woman and men across the country. It has always been interesting to see the different reactions of people as they hear about the abuse I suffered as a little girl both sexually, and physically. Most people do not know what to say to me after they hear about the years of basically being used by a young man as his personal sex partner. It happened when I was 7-10 years old. It is difficult for me to even write about it at this time. So I understand.
 
 
If I were to meet Amanda Berry in person, would I know what to say to her to make that moment matter in her life? I pray I would. I pray I know what to say to anybody at any given moment that will build them up and not tear them down. There is a beautiful verse in the Bible about how to speak to one another: "Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing." 1 Thessalonians 5:11 in the New International Version.
 
I love it in the original Kind James Version; " Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do."
 
Comfort yourselves together...this directive brings me comfort just reading it...it gives me a special moment of peace, assurance and hope. It also helps me know I should not only be edifying others, I should actually choose my words to bring comfort. Do I do this? Not on a regular basis that's for sure. Especially with those closest to me. I want to learn to speak words of peace and kindness even when I do not feel like it. I think of the alternative...which would be discomforting words without peace and kindness. Tearing someone down and discouraging them.
 
 
I believe on the day that Amanda Berry was finally free from the man who held her captive since she was 10 years old, for over 10 years, would have been so afraid of what might happen next. Would he realize she got out of the house and chase her down, would she find help? Would she fall down, would she get away forever? In her 911 call she says to the operator, "It's Amanda Berry, I've been kidnapped for 10 years, but I'm here, I'm free now!". The operator doing her job does not get as excited as I would have liked. She was professional and trying to get the information needed to determine how to help.

What if that operator could go back and receive that call all over again? How might she respond? I would think she may say something like, "OH MY GOSH!!! Are you OK? Is your kidnapper anywhere near you? Are you bleeding? I'm so happy you are here Amanda, I'm so sorry this happened to you. What a brave girl you are! I cannot wait to see how this horrible tragedy in your life will mold you into an amazing person that will be able to help so many others."
 
Our chance to speak freedom into the lives of children comes everyday for most of us. Let's take those chances...let's give a smile or a hug or a word of praise and encouragement. You see so many have done this for me since I began sharing my story of a painful and abusive childhood. So many have encouraged me and have told me how they can see how God has used all of those sad experiences to mold me into the woman I am today. Their words are what bring comfort, peace and that freedom to me. Their words have reminded me that I am no longer that scared little girl who wondered each day who might hurt me or if I would eat, or have a place to sleep. Their words have me shouting to the world....."I'm here! I'm free now!" I am no longer in bondage to my past. I am no longer a victim but a victor! I hope to meet Amanda Berry someday...she is one of my heroes!




No comments:

Post a Comment